3.12.2009

Relic

Relic

Ava trying out an old Smith-Corona typewriter. A couple of days before this, Ava asked me "what's a typewriter?" when the word was brought up in conversation. I actually had to describe the contraption, which sounds so alien if you think about it. She's played with one before, so I had to jog her memory a bit. "Oh, you know, Ava -- that thing where you put the paper in it, and it has all the letters like the computer, but different?" "Oh, yeah...."

Both she & Ezra love to play with these things. Ezra likes to smash all the keys down to watch the typebars get all entangled. Ava is very meticulous with each letter, pressing each key very firmly.

Oh, I have to say, this picture was taken over at our good friends Christina & Daniel's house.

5 comments:

  1. the bub got a smith corona a few months back and loves to write "stories" that usually start out...

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#$%^ERRDRDFFFGGHHFGFEEEE$$$$$$$$$$EEEEEEEEEEEEEESdae6tre5dfgy....

    and end like....

    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxvchgsfzxtywuj....

    Then he asks me to read it to him. Of course I oblige.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The future belongs to the analog purists..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I can't believe I am going to have to explain that to my kids as well. My Mom was the fastest typist around, and the sound of a typewriter is what home sounds like to me... how strange

    ReplyDelete
  4. To publicize Canal Publishing's new novel by Christopher Herz (The Last Block in Harlem), Bryan from Paper Foldables recreated the typewriter from the front cover of the book as a foldable.

    ReplyDelete