8.21.2006

New canvas

Moving day is coming. Soon. Labor Day weekend. We are SO not looking forward to it. But we have no choice. That's the way it has to be—no getting around it. Looking forward to moving into a home with more space, but hate that we have to go through a lot of crap to get to that point. We've been painting at the new place whenever we get the chance, and it's starting to look like our own, but I feel like it's just the tip of the iceberg. There is SO MUCH more to do. Ugh.

During crazy life events like this, I get so scatterbrained. I can't think straight. I can't focus at work and start cramming for a deadline like I crammed for tests and papers back in college. I hate that. I hate it because it puts a lot of stress on me. I tend to handle stress pretty well, but when it starts to eventually affect me, it gets me deep in the gut. Andrea and I are a pretty good team when it comes to dealing with these stressful moments, with each of us working off the other, letting the other one know that everything will be all right. And it will. I know it will, but still. Right now, reaching our goal seems to be the farthest light in the tunnel.

So yes, we are moving soon, and we'll have a whole new canvas to paint and decorate. It's nice to start over again, but boy, is it tiresome! We'll be sure to clue you in on what's going on. There may be a lag in activity here, but you never know. I can't seem to be able to shake this blog.

Ava's not looking forward to the new house. She says it has a bad smell (there's a fireplace that emits a faint burnt wood smell which I kinda like) and her new room is not like her room now. We reassure her that her new room will be just as nice and great as her current one, just give it a chance. Maybe she'll come around. I think once she sees the freshly painted walls (a nice blue "like the sky during the day," Ava tells us), she'll be on our side. Ezra just likes to run around the empty house screeching and hollering.

Hmm, I might have to try that when I'm up late night painting. Sounds like fun.

4 comments:

  1. My wife always says that what sucks about moving is "having to touch everything you own". It's been pretty sobering for us this last time. And actually freeing. We've gotten rid of (and continue to get rid of) so many material things that weigh us down and that we really don't need.

    It seems like my kids reacted somewhat like your kids (6-year-old apprehensive, 2 1/2 year-old running around like crazy). But it's nice to feel a bit more settled in.

    I wish you all the best and only wish I could come by and help with the painting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. *chuckles*
    ezra is so cute!! I can just imagine hearing sounds of pure joy from him!! (^__^)

    moving is always good!! so chill and think of your new pad!! (^__^)

    *hUggies all around* (^__^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your post reminded me of how traumatic moving can be when you're really little. I look back at the (multiple) times our family moved while I was growing up, and at how painful/exciting it was to leave a place I'd become comfortable with, and then take on meeting new kids in a new neighborhood or at a new school. It was tough sometimes. It definitely shaped who I am today, for better and for worse, I think. But, I'm sure in your and Andrea's hands, Ava and Ezra will love the new place...especially, once you and Andrea add your magical touch to it. Congrats on finding a new place, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh.. moving.. been there, done that, very recently.. I hope the gods of cardboard boxes smile upon you and help the whole event pass smoothly!

    ReplyDelete