6.16.2005

Ava Thursday: Baking Cookies



I love this drawing by Ava. The colors, the composition in the way she drew herself at an angle, almost as if she's in motion, the shapes, the objects on the ground -- all of it works for me. Ava took extra time in coloring all the stripes on the dress, and the effort shows. I wasn't able to get the story here from our little artist until I returned home from work, so that's why I was a little late in posting this. Ava tells me that this is her baking cookies, with a spoon in her right hand. Over on the far right, we see her red apron, with one of her brown shoes immediately to the left of it. Apparently Ava got so carried away with her baking, that she didn't even notice that she was half-barefooted. In front of her, on the ground are (from left to right): a cookie, sugar, and a bowl. I know, I know, the middle item looks more like a bowl, but I wasn't going to argue.

This is a slight departure from the way Ava's been drawing lately, but it's a welcome departure. The analogous colors are bolder and more aggressive, correlating with each other very nicely. Again, I love this picture.

5 comments:

  1. Wow the color combinations and placement (the red barrettes for example) in this drawing are outstanding ! I don''t remember if I've seen Ava focus on color before to this degree, hoping to see more !

    And she draws the most joyful smiles, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, first thing I noticed when I saw it ... the first thought that formed in my head after viewing that picture ... "Now aren't those colors very analogous?"
    I never answered myself. I just let it dangle. Pondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have a little gallery of sorts hanging on the back side of the front door. ava chose this spot to hang some of her most recent art work (this drawing included) and I love that I get to look at it everyday.

    I love that she drew the apron (as that is a very important part of our cookie-making experience- choosing our apron to wear) and I love all the details, the smile. most of all, I love those stripes. they make me so happy every time I look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm amazed! how did she figure out to color the stripes - and then repeat the pattern? love the colors - they really work and one wouldn't have automatically chose them. (the rust and the fushia - but I love them together).

    ReplyDelete
  5. my dad still has a crayon drawing that i drew of him when i was a little girl that looks alot like him surprisingly. i don't remember it at all but not long ago he pulled it out and showed it to me. it touched my heart so much to think that he saved it all these years. you have no idea how much it's going to mean to ava someday that you posted her drawings and take the time to comment on them.

    ReplyDelete